Optim-Ed Learning Centre follows the four terms as set out by the Department of Education. The CAPS curriculum is followed and adapted to meet the needs of our learners. The N2Y special needs programme is used to supplement the CAPS curriculum.
The curriculum is holistic in nature and includes, fine, gross motor skills development, language, mathematics, life skills, activities of daily living, art, perceptual and computers amoungst others.
Learners participate in activities to enhance visual, auditory, tactile, kinesthetic, olfactory, gustatory and proprioceptive functioning.
- Smaller classes enable learners to receive more intensive support.
- Learners have individual adaptations made to the core curriculum to meet their specific learning needs which allows them to work on different levels in different subjects.
- Learners work at their own pace through learning material and receive individual support so as to challenge but not frustrate them, thereby making learning goals more achievable.
- Learning is multisensory in nature to optimize conceptual development.
- Learning tasks are assessed on a continuous basis.
- Educational outings that correspond to the theme are undertaken.